Scar Removal Treatments in Naperville, IL
Scar Removal Treatments Including Lasers, SilkPeel, & Prescriptions
Whether you received it from an accident as a child, or from a recent surgery, just about everyone has a scar. The skin can do an amazing job of healing itself, but discoloration or changes in the texture of your skin can develop all too easily to form a scar.
Types of Scars
Treatment of a scar often depends on the particular type of scar. Yes, there is more than one:
- Keloids - A scar that is raised, dark in color, and may continue to grow even after the wound has healed. Keloids are generally more common with darker skin tones, and they do not resolve themselves.
- Contracture Scars - These scars often occur after the skin has been burned, and cause the skin to contract, which forms a tight scar that can affect the nerves and tissues beneath it.
- Atrophic Scars - If the skin’s collagen is unable to fill out the affected area (usually from damage sustained after scratching or picking at acne), it can result in a sort of dent in the skin. This is referred to as an atrophic scar.
- Hypertrophic Scars - Another type of raised scar, like a keloid, that forms a red line. Unlike a keloid, a hypertrophic scar will not spread, and it will also usually fade almost entirely as the skin continues to heal.
- Widespread Scars - Widespread scars typically occur after surgery when an incision scar has stretched. This type of scar is only visual, as it does not cause any sort of protrusion or indentation of the skin, but rather, it develops as a thin white line across the site.
OTC and Prescription Treatments
Scar treatments that can be obtained over-the-counter or with a prescription are often best for new scars that were caused by a small cut or wound. There are also several options available that are specifically formulated to treat acne scars.
It is best to speak with your dermatologist in order to select the OTC or prescription scar treatment that will be best for your individual scar.
Laser Treatments for Scars
Laser treatments may be necessary to reduce the appearance of stubborn skin conditions such as:
- Injury scars
- Burn marks
These laser treatments utilize the benefits of focused light therapy in order to promote the development of new, healthy skin to replace old and damaged skin cells.
Laser treatments for scars can be fairly painful, which is why patients are numbed or possibly even mildly sedated before the procedure. Once complete, you will be able to return home that same day, and will be finished healing after 7-10 days.
Another popular type of scar treatment is microdermabrasion. These facials work to remove the outer layers of the skin that may have been damaged or are mostly made up of dead skin.
SilkPeel goes one step beyond microdermabrasion by also adding a topical component in order to soothe the skin and encourage healthy growth. SilkPeels are non-invasive and can be completed in as little as 30 minutes, so you will not have to worry about any pain during your treatment.
The primary benefits to receiving a SilkPeel facial include:
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Diminishes acne by clearing out the pores
- Rebalances your complexion