Acne Treatment in Naperville, IL
Information About Acne
Acne is an extremely common skin condition where the pores become clogged with dead skin cells and oil. Acne is most common in teenagers going through puberty, but it can flare up at any point in life. The cause and type of acne can determine the best treatment for you.
Symptoms of Acne
Acne blemishes can appear as:
Depending on the type of blemishes you have, you could experience inflammation, redness, or tenderness. The most common areas to have acne are the face, neck, chest, back, shoulders, upper arms, or buttocks.
Common Causes of Acne
The main causes of acne are excess oil, bacteria, dead skin cells, and hormones. Normally, dead skin cells are shed at the surface of the pore, but excess oil can cause the skin cells to stick together and become trapped inside the pore. For this reason, acne most commonly appears on areas where there are more oil glands.
Certain factors that have been known to make acne worse including:
- Hormones:Acne can worsen during puberty when the level of androgen, a hormone in both boys and girls, increases. Other causes of hormone fluctuation, like pregnancy or taking oral contraceptives, can cause or worsen acne.
- Stress:Stress can be linked to the severity of your acne.
- Diet:Some studies have indicated that certain foods, including carbohydrate rich foods, can worsen acne.
- Medications:Certain medications can trigger or aggravate acne.
Your aesthetician may recommend a variety of over-the-counter or prescription medications to help treat acne.
- Chemical peels can treat blackheads and papules and encourage the sloughing of dead skin cells.
- Your aesthetician may recommend other treatments including facials specifically for acne or extractions of whiteheads or blackheads.