Hair Loss Treatment
Treatment from Our Office in Naperville
Hair loss can be an embarrassing issue for both men and women. Often times it is a genetic problem that can leave you feeling helpless. Options, such as prescription drugs, are often only partially effective and carry potential unwanted side effects. Surgical options can be very expensive and do not help to treat the underlying causes of hair loss.
Prevalence and Risk
- Affects 50 million men and 30 million women in the US
- Could start as early as puberty
- By age 50, 50% of men are affected
- By age 0, 40% of women affected
Hair Loss Symptoms
May be characterized as gradual thinning, bald patches, or complete baldness
Causes of Hair Loss
- Genetic factors
- Environmental factors
- Autoimmune disorders or other underlying medical conditions
- Hormones, specifically androgens and dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
- Androgens important for male sexual development and also regulate hair growth
- Postpartum hormone shift
- Menopausal hormone changes
- Dieting or poor nutrition
- Improper hair care
Types of Hair Loss
- Hereditary hair loss
- Androgenic alopecia, standard male and female pattern baldness
- Other types include: telogen effluvium, alopecia areata, scarring alopecia, congenital hypotrichosis
Desired Outcomes for Hair Loss and Treatment
- Goal is to stop hair loss and induce new growth
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) for hair restoration involves a simple injection of your own platelets into the vascular layer of your scalp.
- In order to get the most desirable outcomes a combination of topicals, oral medications and PRP injections address the various causes of hair loss since it is nearly impossible to identify exactly one thing contributing to hair loss.
- The most desirable candidate for PRP Hair Restoration is someone who is experiencing excessive shedding and/or thinning hair. Someone with more “shiny bald” areas may not be considered a good candidate for this treatment. All clients are required to have a complimentary consultation to see if they would be considered a good candidate or not.